Who We Are
Dekker Bookbinding is a family owned company that has been in the Bookbinding Industry for over 95 years.
Our state-of-the-art bookbinding machines give us an array of book manufacturing possibilities in our 100,000 square foot modern facility. Casebinding is available in Adhesive and Smyth Sewn. Dekker has a lineup of automatic Aster Sewers, multiple high speed Case Makers and Stampers, and two complete Kolbus binding lines with Casing-In and Jacketing.
We’re always working on improving our process, our products, and our ability to serve our clients. For over 95 years, Dekker has been adding services and square feet to our facility.
At Dekker Bookbinding, we are dedicated to preserving the beauty, longevity, and content of every page and every book that leaves our doors. Our mission is to provide the highest quality bookbinding services available that continually exceed our client expectations while maintaining a commitment to sustainability, traditional craftsmanship, and continual improvement.
Our Story, Our Values
Dekker Bookbinding is now in its fifth generation. It began when Johannes Dekker, great-grandfather of the current owner of John H. Dekker & Sons, Inc., immigrated to the United States in 1875, having learned the trade in The Netherlands.
His son, John H. Dekker, apprenticed as a bookbinder and, after working in various capacities in the industry, founded the present business in 1929 as a library bindery.
The business has steadily grown to become one of the largest independently owned edition binderies in Michigan. Today the firm specializes in edition bookbinding of short (1) to medium-long (200,000) runs for printers and publishers.
Excellence has been a hallmark of John H. Dekker & Sons since 1929. A long-standing family tradition of pride in workmanship blended with automated machinery assures customers of quality bookbinding, competitively priced.
Equally important is the personal attention to detail by experienced individuals, knowledgeable in every phase of edition bookbinding.
We Know the Value of....
- Quality Craftmanship: We take pride in the quality of our work and use only the finest materials and traditional binding techniques to ensure every book is a masterpiece.
- Starts and Ends with the Customer: We are committed to providing exceptional customer service and working closely with our clients to understand their needs and exceed their expectations.
- Details Matter: We pay meticulous attention to every detail of our work, from the alignment of the pages to the position of the thread, to ensure that every book is perfect.
- Sustainability: We are committed to using environmentally friendly materials and processes whenever possible and take every step to reduce our carbon footprint.
- Versatility: We are skilled in various binding styles and materials. We strive to say “yes” to our clients when asked to help create custom designs to meet their unique needs.
- Preservation: We believe in the Constitution of the United States and freedom of speech and the press. Books are the foundation of exercising this right. We are passionate about preserving this right by producing books that are beautiful and durable to last for future generations to enjoy.